Why The Walking Dead broke my heart [TWD Season 8 ep 8 spoilers]

For the past couple weeks I began to hear rumors of an upcoming major character death that would possibly be occurring on The Walking Dead. The demise of most characters on the show don’t bother me, but I was disturbed by the rumors that Carl Grimes would be getting the axe this time around. Not only has he been one of my favorite characters, but he is the heart, soul, and future of the show. It bothered me so much that it has been a thought lingering in the back of my mind for some time now, and I even had a bad dream about Carl’s death one night.

And so, last night’s season finale did indeed reveal that Carl Grimes has been bitten and is dying. I’ve never been more upset and frustrated over losing a character on the show than I have been now. I couldn’t sleep last night and woke up with a sour pit in my stomach thinking about it. I watched this kid grow up on screen and now I’ll never get to see him be there for his little sister, be with his dad and mama Michonne, find love, grow older and become the great leader he should’ve been. I feel cheated and honestly disgusted by all of Carl’s fantastic potential being wasted. That character deserved so much more than what he was given.

I feel like watching the show from this point forward is going to be very difficult for me. Because I’ve seen him as the heart of the show, I no longer feel like it has heart. Any episodes I watch from here on out will just sadden me, reminding me of Carl and how he’s no longer there. And do I watch this show to be sad all the time? No, of course I don’t. I watch the show for fun, to get enjoyment out of the plot and characters. But lately, I just haven’t been enjoying the show as much as I used to.

Even before the Carl’s death rumors, I’ve felt a bit less excited this season than I usually have. I’m not really sure why. I just haven’t felt like anything even a little positive has happened this season. I know this can be a dreary show, but I felt like nothing gave me hope whatsoever. Eric died, Morales appeared only to quickly die, Rick and Daryl butted heads, Shiva died, Alexandria was destroyed. I like seeing the characters I care about have good things happen to them sometimes too, ya know? This season has left me feeling depressed and not satisfied. Every Sunday, I honestly dreaded watching the new episodes.

So I now think to myself, “How much longer can I continue to watch this show while it makes me feel sad? How many more lovable characters can they kill off before it’s just too much?” The answer to these questions is, Carl dying is the final straw for me. As of this moment, I don’t think I’ll be able to continue watching TWD weekly like I used to. I may not even continue watching it at all. If I do, however, continue to watch it I may wait until all the episodes have been released for the season and just watch them all at once so that I can get them all finished in one sitting instead of dragging it out week after week. I may even end up looking up spoilers just so I'm prepared for who is going to die beforehand. I'm not sure if I'll change my mind when the show starts up again next year, but there's a good chance I will not. I've never felt like this before, and I don't know if it's a feeling I'll shake.

I also want to add that saying this makes me sad. I don't want to stop watching the show or feel the way I do about what's happening, but it can't be helped. Life is hard enough already without my favorite shows and hobbies giving me extra stress. I will always love the show and support the amazing actors in it, but nothing can last forever. More characters I love will continue to die on the show and I've begun to wonder why I put myself through something that's only making me more miserable as it continues to go on. There are plenty of other shows out there, great shows I can watch without being stressed out by them.

So, with a heavy, broken heart, I will leave my opinion at that. I hope to see more of Chandler Riggs in the future, hopefully in movies and in other things. His acting in the mid-season finale was spectacular, and I was honestly crying throughout the whole episode. I suspected he was bit right away due to his behavior at the beginning, so my tears never stopped. 

Godspeed, Carl Grimes. You had a tough childhood and deserved so so much more. 

Comments

Popular Posts